Re: GG: CD Offerings

Sean Malone wrote:

>      As with most of you on the list, we have collections of Gould CDs,
> and it's my goal to eventually own all of them. I have been buying them
> individually, but now having a source to buy the boxed edition sets, and
> I am slowly buying one at a time; some are a bit expensive. Because of
> this, I often duplicate some of the CDs in the set. I plan to sell the
> duplicates, and my question to the list is whether or not you'd be
> interested to know which ones are available Ð- would it be an
> innapropriate use of the list to post these for sale?

Welcome to the List, Sean.  I think you'll like it here.

I think that the list is an appropriate place to discuss all of the various GG
materials.  For the stuff that is really rare and not generally commercially
available, it might be better to state what you have that you might be willing
to trade and then do that with select individuals off the list.

As far as the Sony GG CDs go, you should be aware that this is *copyrighted*
material and you are directly violating this copyright by duplicating those
materials and then offering them for sale on a mailing list.  Since these list
postings are archived, there's a pretty good public record of you making this
type of offer.  My advice would be not to do this.  Sony has deep pockets and
has the means to hire some very good lawyers.  You don't.  Plus, GG is one
of their strongest commodities in the classical music market.  His stuff represents
large dollars to Sony.

Besides, if materials are commercially available, you really should buy them.
Costs can always be cut by buying used CDs, seeking out old vinyl, etc.
Intellectual property rights need to be respected, even if you don't like the idea
of giving your money to Sony.

Now.....having said that....the unreleased, hard-to-find materials are
(at least in my mind) a slightly different case.  Let's face it...we *are* a
niche market.
Some of these materials may *never* see the light of day in terms of commercial
availability.  *We're* the folks who really care about GG and his output.
It's perfectly
understandable that we would want to have access to *anything* that might be out
there that's even remotely Gouldian.  I know I'm in that club.

Just my half a Loonie's worth (upwardly adjusted for the current exchange rate).

cheers,
jh