[Fwd: GG: Wagner transcription]

--- Begin Message ---
Junichi Miyazawa wrote:

> ^^^^^
> Now, questions:
> Who is "Aunt Sadie"?

This is a figurative relative that GG made up-- a strict amateur with
very awful-sounding bad piano habits.  If you play the transcription as
it's written it sounds tacky, amateurish, and Romantic in the most
negative sense.  This is what GG means to say.

> What is the "parlor upright"?

A standard, mass-produced upright piano normally kept in the parlor (or
livingroom) of people's homes.  It's still standard for many amateurs to
have pianos in their homes.  Every home owned by my family members had a
parlor upright.  My grandmother played "Red Sails in the Sunset" and
"The Dipsy Doodle" on it for my grandfather in the evening hours.
Weirdly, my parents had an upright grand!

> What does "fast and loose" mean?
>
> My non-native speaker's intuition tells me that the
> description sounds dirty, doesn't it?

No, not in this sense-- although it could be made to mean something
risque in another context.  Here GG means "reckless" or "informal"
(depending upon how you feel about GG's interpretations!)

-Mary Jo

--- End Message ---