GG: Die Kunst der Fuge

Having no knowledge about musical history and theory can sometimes be an advantage.You can listen to whoever and whatever you like without any predjuce. It can also cause some confusion. In my case it's GG's recording of "Die Kunst der Fuge/The Art of the Fuge"
I think I read somewhere that Bach rarely or never gave specific instructions on sound, volume, speed or the choice of instrument, which sounds quite unusual for works of such a complex mathematical structure. If this is true then I bet that this subject is the matter of an endless (?) debate among musicians and experts alike on how Bach should be played, which at some point will lead to Gould.
I bought GG's Art of Fuge a few weeks ago, liked it, read the booklet and wondered why the critics hated it.They said it is "unmusical", and it sounds "like a trained seal playing "God Save The Queen" on car horns"  So I went to a public library and got a different recording to compare.
I couldn't find anything unusual.
What is wrong or what is supposed to be wrong with Gould's recording ?
Is it because Gould played it on an organ ? If Bach rarely gave instructions why blame Gould for his (sometimes though eccentric) interpretation(s)?

Have a good day !
Pat