Has GG's star faded in the midst of recent trends?

The sad question occurred to me when I read this post. (below)

Is the GG 'legacy', and all that that phrase conjures up, the polar
opposite of HIP?  I enjoy and appreciate both, but am I in the minority?
and is it a generational reaction?  Shouldn't the Gould recordings be
required listening for today's serious student?  Here's hoping...

Jerry

In article <6n0rjh$hnq$1@nntp.Stanford.EDU>,
Ming-chi Stephen Mak <smak@cs.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

>  I am considering to buy a complete set of Beethoven's
>Piano Sonata. I already have most of it with Gleen Gould version,
>which is good in early sonatas but not late ones.

My personal preference is the (relatively) recent recording by Malcolm
Bilson and a group of his students.  As far as I know this is the only
complete HIP recording available, so if you prefer modern piano, this
may not be the best option for you.  Still, it's worth listening to a
bit; I find that the performance is much more thoughtful than most
I've heard, and you may be willing to forego your preference of
instrument for the qualities of the performance.

I will admit, I'm biased.  I studied piano at Cornell for four
semesters with two of the performers, Tom Beghin and Andrew Willis.
(I never studied with Bilson, although I did meet him, and I used his
fortepiano a few times.)  Still, I suspect I'd give the same judgment
without the bias.
--
David J. Greenberger
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign