Re: GG: Haydn No.59 in E-flat (hob.xvi:49)

>Listen to GG's 1981 recording of Haydn Sonata
>No.59 in E-flat (Hob.XVI:49) from the GG Edition.
>The very beginning passage is fading in, like
>you turn up the volume.
>
>Someone told me that.  Once you realize it,
>it sounds very unnatural.
>Does anyone have an original LP with you?
>How does it sound in LP?
I just paid $20 in library fines (most of which was from overdue GG
books, of course) and took out this record.  It sounded just as the Sony
one, with the odd fading in effect.  I don't know what it is, and it
certainly does sound rather unnatural.

On another note, one of the books that was overdue was "Glenn Gould, by
himself and his friends" or something like that.  This book is a
collection of many essays about Glenn Gould (obviously). In one of the
essays, "Apollonian" (borrowing from Nietzche's Birth of Tragedy)  the
author (I forget who it was) said that Gould liked his piano's action
"tight".  Now perhaps I am confused, but wouldn't that mean not loose.
Unless I have my terminology mixed up, I am pretty sure this is wrong.  I
thought Glenn Gould liked his action "loose", so to speak.  Did Glenn
Gould like his Piano's "tight" and am I just confused, do I have my
terminology mixed up, or did the author make a mistake?

-David