RE: David Cope/EMI (Was:Mozart's 42nd - yeah, right)

You might check out this post.  Email me if you can't find it.  I'll send
it to you, it's 8 pages long.

http://x2.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=357516716.1&CONTEXT=896483787.2079916527&hit
num=1

May 23, 1998

The well-tempered computer

Do the imitations of Bach and Mozart produced by David Cope and EMI mean
we're going to have to redefine creativity?

BY JOHN HUBNER
West Magazine Staff Writer

SOMEDAY -- and given what this story is about, it may be tomorrow -- a
story like this will come with a chip. You will press a button and hear
music and form your own judgments. Since that day isn't quite here, I
will try to describe what I have heard.

I am listening to a CD called "Bach by Design," and my living room
does indeed swell with Bach, somber, majestic, all-powerful Bach.

Except it isn't Bach.

Now we have Mozart, delightful, surprising Mozart, drawing deep from the
well that waters the universe.

Except it isn't Mozart.

And here comes Scott Joplin, pounding out a tingling, syncopated rag. My
living room has the feel

<snipped>