Re: GG: non-gg bach piano?

<<
 I have yet to find a classical search that lets you search on
 instrument.   >>

One place where you should be able to search by instrument is the OCLC
database -- the Online Catalogue of the Library of Congress for all you non-
librarians out there.  If you do not have direct access to OCLC, you can try
First Search, which is a Web Browser for the Library of Congress.  I believe
if you use First Search as a keyword, you can get to the LC web pages.  If
not, I could look up the exact URL if anyone is interested.

The Library of Congress database contains bibliographic information for every
title the Library holds, and since one copy of every new publication
automatically goes to the LC, it's got an awful lot.  Or in more professional
terms, quite an extensive collection.  The bibliographic description of a
recording should include intstrumentation, performers and titles for each
track, so a keyword search by instrument + performer should bring up GG's
recordings.  Similarly using a strategy such as <piano + Bach + not Glenn
Gould> or some such thing may give you what you want.

If there is a Music Library at your local university, my first step would be
to give that reference librarian a call.  I would be thrilled to get a call
about a detailed question such as yours, rather than the usual "who wrote
'Happy Birthday' " sort of questions (Patty and [I believe Lorna?  Marion?]
Hill).

Well, I hope this helps, and if anyone else has searching problems, don't
forget that a Music Librarian will be more than happy to help with just this
sort of thing.  (I've just come through two weeks of trying to get my high
school music students to ask the reference librarian to help them find
material for their term papers. They just don't believe they can ask the
librarian for help!)

Good luck to you,
Melissa Stewart
Bishop Timon - St. Jude High School