Re: GG: Mistakes on Well Tempered Clavier ???!!!

>    Honestly, do you think that was a mistake in the "unintentional
>    oversight/finger went to the wrong place" category, or was GG being
>    subversive and hoping that somebody would notice it?  GG was iffy
>    about some things in the WTK, and we all know from his Mozart that
>    GG was not above "revising" a few dots on paper here and there.

Its impossible for me to imagine Gould 'not catching' a mistake of _any_
sort......  From all indications he was as fussy in the studio as he was
about food.

>In general, my impression is that GG very rarely actually plays
>different notes than the composer wrote.  Am I wrong?

Well yes, actually. The WTC contains many deviations from the score, and
apparently Gould had no problem with 'improving' a piece as he saw fit.
Personally, I believe that keyboard music of Bachs time allows for, even
encourages, a highly individual approach. This is partially evidenced in
Bachs hardly ever using tempo indications or performance notes of any sort
in his keyboard scores.  Also, the playing of ornaments is improvisational
in spirit.