Re: beethoven Op. 10

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Sivan Etedgee wrote:

> Bradley -
> which movement of the Beethoven Op. 10 no. 1 did Glenn play so fast as
> to not get in all the notes?
> In the first movement, I couldn't think of a place that would be too
> fast (how ludicrous a tempo could we really hear this at?) for even
> someone with horrible technique (such as myself) to miss notes, never
> mind someone with the godly technique of Gould.

Nevertheless, he takes it so fast that the dotted-note main theme hardly
sounds dotted anymore, even though the notes are there in the proper
sequence.

> Third movement, several tricky runs, but nothing tricky enough for Gould
> flub (unless, once again, at an absurd tempo).

Bing bing bing.  He burns through this movement so fast that not all the
notes of those runs are present.  On the other hand (his left hand), the
larger structure of the movement emerges with great clarity: this forest
contains no moss on its trees, if indeed there are any individual trees.

> This leaves the second movement, an "Adagio Molto"...with several 132nd
> note (or something of the sort) runs, which possibly be the culprit.
> So, if it was the second movement,  approximately how fast did he take
> this movement in order to miss notes on the runs?

Not a problem.

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.45716N+78.94565W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/