Re: GG: able to retrain performance habits

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Andrew J Hrycyna wrote:

> Recent posts about authenticity and Gould led me to remember this other
> passage from Richard Taruskin's Text and Act.
(...)
> "Gould's recording of the Bach gamba sonatas (with Leonard Rose along for
> the ride ...) is one of the great beacon fires of postmodernist
> performance avant le mot. (...)
> Gould's is the only recording of these too familiar works that continues
> to give me refreshment.

This sounds like a revised version of Taruskin's earlier article to the
same effect that was in _Musical America_ (I think; could be mistaken)
sometime in the early 80's.  It was a two-page spread where he compared
this recording and the Maisky/Argerich recording.

As I recall, it was also Taruskin's writing in those days that sparked my
interest in the performance aesthetic of Musica Antiqua Koeln and similar
groups, as opposed to the "objective" positivistic style epitomized by
Hogwood/Pinnock/et al.

And somewhere in those same years it was either he or Will Crutchfield(?)
who had a very perceptive article in the same mag about Norrington's
Beethoven symphonies (beginning of the cycle with 2+8) vis a vis
Toscanini's: questions of authenticity.

Taruskin was also of course a strong influence on Bazzana's book, as KB's
diss advisor.

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.45716N+78.94565W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/