GG: Hi, I'm new here + Shostakovich

----------
> Fra: Elisha J Tseng <elisha-jt@juno.com>
> Til: f_minor@email.rutgers.edu
> Emne: GG: Hi, I'm new here...
> Dato: 29. september 1997 10:32
>
> To everyone in the mail list,
> 	Hi, my name is Elisha.  I think you can tell from the
> introduction that I am new in this forum.  I happened to stumble across
> the f-minor home page while I was surfing  on the net for some more info
> on GG during his 65th anniversary. (September 25, last Thursday)
> 	I decided to major in music not long ago (now you know that I'm
> still in high school) and because I made this decision a bit late, I have
> a lot of requirements to catch up and to work on.  My choice of
> instrument?  What else--the piano.
> 	GG made me fell in love with Bach--and so he did to other fans as
> well.  However, certain interpretations and embellishments which he added
> or modified were conflicting with my piano teacher's interpretations.
> For example, I am working on the Bach f-minor (Go figure! :-) Concerto
> for a scholarship competition, and there are two arpeggios which were
> supposed to be played from bottom notes to top.  GG did it differently:
> he went from the top note to the bottom of the chord--it's hard to put it
> in words, much easier to understand if you can hear it.  However, from my
> opinion, GG's interpretation of those two chords are more interesting
> than the conventional rule, but it is not for me to say.  I am not trying
> to imitate GG--that would be unthinkable, but I like certain modulations
> he had added which, to a pedagogic musicologist, is unthinkable.
> 	While I was on the net, I couldn't believe there are many web
> sites devoted to him.  I often wonder how he would feel that, 15 years
> after his death, is still the most controversial and talked about
> musician in the music world.
> 					Sincerely,
> 					Elisha (:-)

Hi Elsha and old f-minors.

"Schvn" to have a prof. (in spe) at our list (I'm only a danish student of
math. who happens to love his interpretations - very much Bach too).

The other day I got the "So you want to write a fugue" (by G.G.) - that's
on Sony SMK 52 679 - do you know that one Elsha ? In my opinion it's very
funny "...But never be clever for the sake of being clever,..." and you
find his String Quartet op. 1 on the cd as well - it's more - how do I put
it - it's more Schvnberg I guess.

Well, the reson I'm writing is to check if any of you out there can tell me
if he ever did the "Tree Fantastic Dances" Op. 5 of mr. D. Shostakovich ?
And what about his two (he wrote two as I recall it) sonatas ? I'm just
crazy about this angry and violent "one-movement" #1 op. 12 which is
tellin' me the same story as Scriabin #6 - a "mad scene".

Regards Michael.