Re: GG: Atonalism

Kristen said:

>perhaps Gould championed the more "alternative"
>composers because there was less tradition at stake and therefore less
>reputation to live up to. It was the less competitive route.

Maybe there's some truth in this, but the point is also made somewhere --
*someone* will know where -- that GG had a special affinity for cool
northern composers over hot southern composers. Sibelius rather than Ravel,
for example. Wagner rather than Puccini. Bad examples but you get the
drift. Actually, I can think of an exception: Scarlatti. But the point
stands pretty well -- cool, severe northern music rather than hot
passionate (undisciplined!) southern music. I guess that this quest perhaps
made GG choose some odd companions, but I think generally speaking the
choice was deliberate, personal, sincere -- and perhaps just a touch
self-mythologising.....

later....

- Alun

T H E   P H O E N I X   P A R T N E R S H I P
public and voluntary sector research, development and project management
Alun Severn & Terry Potter                                    ALUN SEVERN
                                         1 Chestnut Road  Oldbury B68 0AX
                                             Tel/Fax: +44 (0)121 421 5852
                                            email: alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
I couldn't be happier. I don't want anything to interfere with this state
of dissatisfaction.                                           - Morrissey