GG:Splice

I always thought the most obvious splice in a Gould recording was in the
cadenza (by Gould) to the first movement of Beethoven's Piano Concerto
#1.  He plays the first phrase, then at 10:36, the obvious splice occurs
between the phrases.  I'm often frustrated by the extraneous noises in
Gould recordings of all eras.  I'm sure I can hear a tape being wound at
high speed and chattering away in the background in the 1981 Goldberg
Variations recording.  The only solution is to throw away your
headphones.
See the Glenn Gould Reader, p. 357, or High Fidelity of August 1975 for
"The Grass is Always Greener in the Outtakes: An Experiment in
Listening", an article by Gould discussing the questions raised by
Benjamin Lee.  The result, of course, was that nobody was any good at
finding splices, which is what Gould wanted to believe.