Re: GG: Genes & Genius

>I seem to recall GG
>saying somewhere that he was related to Edvard Grieg, and that both of
>their families were originally of Scotish descent of the clan McGregor.
>However I could be very wrong about this.  This makes it especieally
>suprising to hear of the possibility that GG's family name was originally
>Gold, and that he may have been of Jewish descent.  This would seem to
>contradict the possibility of GG being related to Grieg or of his
>ancestors having been McGregors.

The Grieg was on his mother's side. Her name was Florence Gould (or Gold)
neé Greig, just like his cousin Jessie. The "Greig" was spelled differently
from the composer's "Grieg" , Gould claimed, because his mother's family
(all the way back to the great-grandfather to whom Edvard Grieg was a
cousin) held onto the traditional Scots spelling of the name while Edvard's
great-grandfather, crossing the North Sea in the 1740's to settle in
Bergen, rearranged the vowels to give his name a more "Nordic" ring. Hope
this helps clear the confusion a bit.

Regards,
Kristen

"Yeah, well uhhh, I can relate to what you're sayin', man, but like, not
with any negative vibes, yuh know, cuz' as far as I'm concerned, when
you're dealin' with uh, middle Mozart there, you go mainly for the
beats..."      -Theo Slutz