Re: Gould in the record store

At 4:24 PM 2/15/97, Alun Severn wrote:
>....of course he could be an unacknowledged genius, but I have to say that,
>from the many years I spent working in bookstores (also an environment
>attractive to the lonely, the estranged, the visionary, the outsider --
>it's why they're such *great* places), I met more nuts than unacknowledged
>geniuses. True, they are sometimes one and the same thing, but even
>so....be careful: it's a jungle out there....

Alun,
        And of course, you are correct. I am naturally quite wary of
strangers (the result of too many years in the "big city"), so fear not for
my safety in the record store. The guy is probably a harmless looney, but
he had been in the shop the evening of my post and, as most things do, he
got me thinking about GG. Off the topic, we get all kinds of folks in
there, including one bizarre old woman who comes into the store and spends
the entire evening changing her clothes in the bathroom. She must bring 4
or 5 changes of clothing! She'll go in, put on an outfit, step out of the
restroom and walk through the store a few yards, then turn right around and
contrast, old Gouldy seems like the paragon of sanity. Of course, those are
usually the serial killers... Thanks for the warning. :-)
Regards, Kristen

Elyse Mach: "But do you think that if Beethoven came back to life he'd go
along with these notions of motif and tempo?"
Glenn Gould: "I don't really know, nor do I very much care..."