Re: GG: Glenn Gould Edition VIII

>Lori Lalonde wrote:

>I looked at the repetoire on these.  It looks like Sony has once again
>lifted the music from the videos so that they can make "first release"
>recordings.

Yes and no.  The "Art of the Fugue" and the "Chamber Music" CDs do contain
alot of material dubbed from television broadcasts.

>I truly wish Sony has found something different we don't have, but
>frankly, I don't think so.

The "From the Vault" CD is SOMETHING DIFFERENT that we don't have.  The
Bach selections on this CD are STUDIO recordings that Gould made during the
last 5 years of his life for an "Italian" Bach album (never released).  The
recording dates for these selections are found in the appendix on pages
381-383 of the Friedrich biography.  Gould mentioned his recording of the
Marcello concerto during his recorded interview with Tim Page in 1982.
Quite frankly, I have wondered why CBS/Sony never released these recordings
earlier.

When I read that these recordings were being released, I think I set a new
record for the high jump from a sitting position.  On Tuesday, Feb. 25
(release date) I'll be in the checkout line at the record store.

Scott Henderson, Ph.D.
Director of Microscopy,
Mount Sinai School of Medicine,
Department of Cell Biology & Anatomy,