GG:2&3 Pt Invs. and singing

Peter Glenister wrote:

> On  7 Feb 97 at 20:37, eric.coates@which.net wrote, in part:
>
> > My intoduction to GG was the '81 recordings of Goldbergs and the 2&3 part
> > inventions. I must, by now, have played these CDs over 100 times.
> > As to how one apportions the praise for the quality of this music between JS
> > and GG, I am not sure (or competent to judge). There is a clue in that the
> > difference between the '81 and the 30 year earlier recording (live in Moscow-
> > 3pt invs 2-15 only) is enormous and, unlike the similarly spaced Goldbergs
> > which are in their own ways both marvellous, show a marked improvement (the
> > 3 pt in E minor especially).
>
> Eric,
>
> I am curious to read that you refer to these Inventions recordings as
> being 30 years apart.  While the Inventions (2-15 only) were recorded
> in Moscow in 1957, I've never been aware that there is a 1981
> recording of the Inventions and sinfonias, only the original CBS
> release of 1964 (and subsequently rereleased by Sony), the famous one
> with the Inventions arranged in non-conventional order and advising
> listeners to "stay tuned - - we're fixing it" i.e. the piano with the
> hiccup; thus a seven year time gap, not 30.
>
> What are the record numbers of your CD containing the Inventions?
> Maybe I've missed something?              --------------------------------------
Thanks for the correction. I was referring to the SMK 52596 release
which, along with the 81 Goldbergs, were, contemporaneously, my
introduction to GG. I now realise that I didn't read the notes very
thoroughly. But I've thought of a feeble excuse for my error. This is
that GG's singing voice changed very little between the ages of 32 and
49! A slightly less feeble one is that Sony's remastering of the tapes
brought the 64 recording up to 80's quality.
That's enough of trying to excuse myself, but has anyone ever thought
what a marvellous idea it would be to produce a "GG Sings JS" CD by
using modern sampling wizardry? (ie remove the piano entirely -
sometimes it completely drowns his voice).
Seriously though, his voice on the Eb major prelude in WTC Book 1 is so
touching and an enormous enhancement. To use technology to remove it
would be an unforgivable crime. I hope no-one ever thinks of doing such
a thing. BUT would the techno GG have given his approval?
Eric Coates