Re: GG: GG as vocalist

I'm with you all - I wouldn't get rid of the humming for anything. (I
thought there was something wrong with my CD player when I first heard it!)

I read somewhere (and being a good student I usually look up the refernce
for you all, but I'm just too lazy right now) that Gould explained his
vocalising as his uncontrollable attempts to make up for the inadequacy
of the instrument he was playing. Hence the reason the humming varies
from recording to recording. He used different pianos for different
composers when he could, and if he had to `make do', he compensated for
the piano's shortcomings by singing. He did admit that he tried to stop
once or twice, but the concentration it took to control himself took away
from the music he was playing and he got all muddled up. I too am working
on a theory on why he found it necessary to communicate some of the
music himself, via human voice - has something to do with words, I think,
and the medium Gould was communicating with, but it's not quite formed yet.

Voila - my two cents have been spent.

PS - I'd love to have a copy of The Chair! What an incredibly wacky,
useless but must-have object! And I wouldn't be surprised if there were
several more of us lurking about, in and outside of the list, who feel
the same!

 Arin Murphy
 Concordia University, Montreal

The absolute requirements of literary labour not unfrequently compel an
irregular distribution of time, and with it irregular social and moral
habits. (J.W. Kaye)