GG: GG as vocalist

I've just listened to, for perhaps the third or fourth time, the Eb
major prelude in WTC Book one. My goodness it was beautiful and GG must
have thought so to. By any professional standards his vocalising on this
piece is outrageous but I wouldn't be without it now. The sort of thing
that only Beethoven could have got away with, but then he'd have had a
good excuse!
   I'm sure there has been constant discussion in f_minor of GG's
"singing "and I'd understand if it is rejected as a boring topic, but
so far I've read only of the extraneous piano sounds. I'd be interested
to  know to what extent  he was  asked to try  to  avoid  singing  (or,
perhaps, he was even encouraged to when his audience came to expect it!)
Eric Coates