GG: So you want to write a fugue?

Dear friends:

I am now re-thinking about what the
appropriate Japanese title for
"So You Want to Write a Fugue?" is.

Being asked by Sony Tokyo, I once translated the title
with the complete text into Japanese for the Japanese
linernotes of Sony's "GG, the Composer", and
for the "GG Collection"as well.

At that time, I made a *literal* translation
for the title (and the first line)
as a kind of *question*.

However, now I suppose this is not an ordinary question
to ask whether "you" want to write a fugue or not,
but a rethorical question for uring "you" to write a fugue,
like:  "Why don't you write a fugue?"

What do you think?
Is it an urging or a persuading expression?
A strong expression?
A gentle one?  Just a suggestion?. . .

If you take it as a rhetorical question,
what does the first word "So" mean?

Let me know your ideas.

(Soon I will have an opportunity to revise
my translation.)

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Junichi / junichi@poetic.com

P.S.  Dear non-English-speaking friends:
What do *you* translate the title into your
languages?

P.P.S.  Here is the text:

SO YOU WANT TO WRITE A FUGUE?

So you want to write a fugue?
You've got the urge to write a fugue,
You've got the nerve to write a fugue,
So go ahead and write a fugue that we can sing!

Pay no heed to what we've told you,
Give no mind to what we've told you,
Just forget all that we've told you,
And the theory that you've read.
For the only way to write one,
Is just to plunge right in and write one.
So just forget the rules and write one,
Have a try, yes, try to write a fuge.

So just ignore the rules and try,
And the fun of it will get you,
And the joy of it will fetch you, I
t's pleasure that is bound to satisfy.
So why not have a try?
You'll decide that John Sebastian,
Must have been a very personable guy.

But never be clever for the sake of being clever,
For a canon in inversion is a dangerous diversion,
And a bit of augmentation is a serious temptation,
While a stretto diminution is an obvious solution.
Never be clever for the sake of being clever,
For the sake of showing off!

It's rather awesome, isn't it?
And when you've finished writing it,
I think you'll find great joy in it (hope so)...
Well, nothing ventured nothing gained they say...
But still it is rather hard to start.
Let us try.

Right now?
We're going to write a fugue right now!