Re:Reply to P. Taussig;A. Kazdin's book

A special welcome to someone with firsthand memories of GG. Taussig's
posting certainly corroborates ALMOST all other accounts of him as being
a sweet and gentle man. However, there is a book by GG's producer at
Columbia Records, Andrew Kazdin, called "Glenn Gould at Work-Creative
Lying," which is at once packed with previously undocumented events, as
well as providing descriptions of GG as anything but pleasant. (I don't
know whether this book has been mentioned before, but since there are
always newcomers to f_minor, I bring it up here.)

Since GG cannot reply to this book published about a decade after his
death, one must draw conclusions based on a one-sided account, but it
would appear that GG treated Kazdin with such unprecedented and
uncharacteristic contempt that it seems he had a really dark side. The
occurrences written about are quite believable, as they arose in the
course of a mostly business rather than artistic relationship. I would
like to hear feed-back from some of the group about this book. Those of
us who discount character flaws because there is so much to love in the
creative output and artistic charisma will read the book for the purpose
of feeding his curiosity about GG. Others may allow the book to bring
him down a few (or many) notches. Whatever Kazdin's purpose was in
writing this book, whether he needed to unload some old resentments, or
actually wanted to deflate GG to his fans, is up to the reader to ponder.

(To Peter: You have an appropriate surname for a pianist. Are you related
to the famouse Carl Tausig, with slightly different spelling?)

Can I add one more comment about GG and Mozart? It has been stated in
certain sources that there are similarities between their lives, in that
both did not receive training to prepare them for real-life situations.
M. was given musical instruction by his father, and GG by his mother.
Each were extraordinarily gifted, totally absorbed to the exclusion of
concern for matters that press on most ordinary people. We know how
involved GG was when playinto maintain his detachment from the world.
 M. described the feeling when he was composing as though someone outside

 himself was putting dowm the notes. It has even
been said that the many children that WAM and Constanze had actually died
from neglect, caused by the couple's simple ignorance.