Gould's Berg

I'm not sure how many pianists are following this list,
but in partial reply to the question about '12-tone' music,
I have this personal recollection to offer.  As a teenager,
and a serious piano student, hearing Gould's recording
of Berg's Opus 1 was a shattering, revelatory experience.  I
determined then and there to learn and perform the piece.
I don't think anyone since has made a more convincing
projection of this work, though Barenboim's reading
is polished, but lacking Gould's immense depth and
polyphonic independence.

By the way, this work predated Berg's adopting
the twelve-tone method.  If Schoenberg could
be heard, as someone else suggested, as a younger
contemporary of Richard Strauss, then early
Berg was most definitely the same to Mahler.

Michael Century
CITI (Centre d'innovation en technologies de l'information)
1575 boulevard Chomedey
Laval, Québec Canada H7V 2X2
514-973-5737, fax 514-973-5757
WWW server http://mcentury.citi.doc.ca