Re: [F_minor] Something Old and Something Blue/Grey

Houpt, Fred wrote:
On another topic I meant to write about, in last months BBC Music Mag is
a cover article/interview with Angela Hewitt.  Something she said about
GG just made me cringe.  She said that she could never understand
Gould's technique because it was just too crazy.  Crazy?  A day or so
before reading this I listened in rapt joy as I enjoyed once again GG's
recording of Elizabethan composers.  Crazy technique?  The reason no one
else tries this music is because they don't know what to do with it.

The reason no one tries it ON PIANO is because they don't know what to do with it. Meanwhile, this music is daily bread for harpsichordists like me. :) Using period fingerings in the passagework, too, because it's eventually easier (just get used to it) and it sounds better that way.

Gould's way with the ornamentation on that record was pretty strange....