From: Etha Williams [mailto:diftorhehsmusma@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 1:22 AM
To: boyboy_8@yahoo.com
Cc: f_minor@email.rutgers.edu; Houpt, Fred
Subject: Re: Ravel

I have never been a great fan of piano transcriptions for orchestral
works, as this seems more often than not to just further the futile
endeavor of trying to get a piano to sound like an orchestra.
Nevertheless, this transcription is quite an impressive feat. (As an
aside, I love the introduction, and my best friend and I are fond of
using the "x's transcription of x's transcription of..." line whenever
we try to recreate by ear a piece we've heard on radio/CD/etc; but our
"transcriptions" are of course never anywhere as good as GG's...)

Anyway, here is a bit more about the La Valse transcription, in a letter
by GG:

December 6, 1974

Mrs. Morris Hochberg
Detroit
Michigan
U.S.A.

Dear Sylvia:

Many thanks for your note re 'La Valse'. I'm delighted that you enjoyed
the clip and I do hope that you will be able to see the programme in its
entirety in February. I'm afraid, however, that my general francophobia
proceeds apace: actually, the current decade-by-decade television series
is, if nothing else, a good training-ground since it has compelled me,
for the first time in my life, to play Debussy and Ravel. But also, I
must tell you, for the last time; actually Columbia have badgered me
about a recording of 'La Valse' and I'm afraid that I've dug in my heels
at least as firmly as when they have a similar notion some years back
about one or other of the Chopin sonatas.

In any case, I had a great deal of fun with 'La Valse' because I found
Ravel's own contribution downright unusable for at least half its
length; as you perhaps know, he simply wrote out the harmonic foundation
of the piece on two conventional staves and added, as a kind of optional
extra in very small print and on a third stave, most of the colouristic
elements which gave the piece its flavour; much of the time, indeed,
there is simply no way in which one can incorporate the third-stave
elements and simultaneously be obedient to the material on the primary
staves. Consequently, I cleared away as much of the lower-stave
underbrush as possible and incorporated as much of the third-stave
material as I could -- admittedly make a few discreet alterations in
Monsieur Maurice's voice-leading as I went along. As I say, it was great
fun, and I do hope you'll see the programme in February -- the Ophelia
songs of Strauss and the excerpts from Pierrot made it all worthwhile.

All the best for now,

Sincerely,
Glenn Gould
 [snip]

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations.
Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent.
Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite.
Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.