Re: [F_minor] Brahms D minor / Baltimore

this really is unfortunate that there is no way to obtain these priceless recordings. the brahms, and the karajan-gould beethoven!  it is sad to hear them discussed knowing that it ends there.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Neil Tingley<mailto:neil@thump.org>
  To: f_minor@email.rutgers.edu<mailto:f_minor@email.rutgers.edu>
  Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 8:14 AM
  Subject: Re: [F_minor] Brahms D minor / Baltimore

  Brad Lehman wrote:
  > That Gould/Adler/Baltimore performance of the Brahms is extreme in a
  > different way: it has one of the fastest second movements I know.  No
  > dawdling.  They get through it in 9'32".  In most of the other
  > recordings I have (by other people) that movement takes 14-16
  > minutes.  Even Horowitz took as much as 12'40" and 12'35" playing it
  > with Toscanini and Walter.  Gould/Bernstein/NYP took 13'36".
  Yes I don't get the slow movement, all those youthful surgings. I love
  the last movement, one of Brahms' most inspired I think, and Glenn
  really going for it.  I'm always amazed at how free Gould's playing was
  live vs. recordings. His concerts must have been extraordinary events.

  What are people's favourite Gouldian concerto recordings ? My list

  - Bach F minor (with Lenny)
  - Bach D minor (Leningrad)
  - Beethoven 4 with Lenny
  - Mozart 24 with Susskind