[F_minor] Re: F_minor Digest, Vol 6, Issue 7

Matthew Harding wrote

1. Happy Birthday, Mr. G (Matthew Harding)

. . .
 I see, you're saying you'd rather the technology was put to
better use than to re-hash one of your old chestnuts,

If by "technology", Matthew means the Zenph technology for creating very faithful "re-performances", it's hard to see why a performing (playing) a recorded work once more counts as as a "rehash", any more than playing a CD again would.

At any rate, I thought, the re-perfomance (at the CBC, Toronto) this noon was quite entertaining - even if the Yamaha piano producing the sounds was less than impressive. I had the good fortune to be sitting fairly close to the front with a clear view of the pedals - so I learned something instructive to a very uneducated piano player -- Gould's pedalling was light, never longer than a second or so, incredibly precise, and as far as I could tell only for giving colour to a chord, rather than to create a sostenuto of one tone held over other.

Mr. Walker made much of the "illusion" of a live performance, having the audience close their eyes, which indeed works -- you get the clear feeling that you are listening to a real piano, being really played with great imagination and subtlety -- which you are!. But of course, all that's live is what the piano and the hall create (in this case, overly live, even though the hall was almost full) producing a vivid result with much greater impact than a recording (isn't that why people pay to go hear solo performances?)

. . . Peter Roosen-Runge