[F_minor] Happy Birthday, Mr. G

You're 74 years young today, and you still look like a 50-year old, for crying out loud! Happy Birthday.

So I wanted to talk to you about this recording they're doing at your studio today, you know, the one with Zenph Studios (http:// www.zenph.com/sept25.html).

I know, I know - you're a huge fan of pioneering new technology in recording, yet at the same time you feel sort of... what's the word - used? I mean, you recorded this piece over 50 years ago, and mono was king. Then you re-recorded it 27 years later, and you were one of the first to use Sony's new digital mastering system, releasing it on digital CD. And now this company has the nerve to want to re-record your original mono recording, but using modern technology in stereo (in fact, Super Audio CD and binaural formats as well!).

So how do you feel about it really? Are you happy that your pioneering recording is going to be continually re-released, over and over again, until the sun becomes a white dwarf and life ceases to exist? Or would you have liked to have some sort of control over the process? I see, you're saying you'd rather the technology was put to better use than to re-hash one of your old chestnuts, if I could paraphrase you? I can understand that. After all, you've already said all you want to say on the subject, so why keep repeating yourself?

But still, there is the curiousity factor, the car-accident like fascination with the recording that propelled you to super-stardom (even though you didn't want it), that pretty much guaranteed you a pension for life (and beyond, I hear you say!) from a recording that has never been out of print since it was released, and as much as we hate to admit it Glenn - we're crazy about you. Heck, we even gather around the digital fireside to re-hash old stories about you, to see if we can really find out what made you tick.

OK sure, if you really need to listen to it, it's going to be streaming live from your Studio today at noon Eastern Standard Time (http://www.cbc.ca/listen/index.html). To tell you the truth, it might be fun... but don't expect me to applaud, even after all this time.

Anyway, enough about that. Glenn, just wanted to drop you a quick note of thanks for continuing to surprise me with your music, 24 years after you decided to go into early retirement. We all still love you (even that Mozart-loving Theremin guy who keeps posting on your list), and you've never let me down yet.

Talk to you next year,
Matthew

P.S. Still waiting for Vol. 2 of the Art of Fugue... please send me an email off-list if you can give me an update on its release.