RE: [F_minor] The re-recording....

A few years back the Kaplan foundation issued a CD containing recordings on
a modern Steinway of the four piano rolls that Gustav Mahler made of some of
his music. Three of the works Mahler performed were of his lieder, the last
one was his own transcription of the first movement of his 5th symphony. The
lieder were performed first without the vocalist and then performed with a
living soprano. The performance even captured Mahler's finger slips on the
piano. This is not an aspect of the machine I think Gould would have
appreciated. No "take-two-ness" allowed.

I was struck by how much faster the tempi were than modern performances
today. In fact when I listen to performances by Rachmaninov, Schnabel,
Hoffman etc from the 1920's and 1930's tempi are usually much faster than
modern performances. It was interesting to listen to the Schnabel recordings
of the Beethoven piano sonatas. In many of the performances I am reminded of
Glenn Gould's own recordings of the Beethoven sonatas. Didn't a critic once
comment that he thought Gould's performance of Beethoven's 4th concerto
sounded just like Schnabel's style of performance? Although there are
differences, I do see a resemblance from time to time.

Eric Cline
Sr. Synthesis Chemist
Reichhold, Inc
P.O. Box 13582
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709
USA
Toll Free:       +1 800 448 3482
Office Phone: +1 919 990 8116
Fax:              +1 919 767 8506