[F_MINOR] re-recording

The other day I was listening to Gould's marvelous recording of the Beethoven Piano Sonata No 32 Op 111. It’s is an early recording from -56, recorded not long after he made his first Goldberg recording. Knowing how his view of the Goldbergs changed after some 25 years and I begun to wonder if he ever was tempted to re-record the three late Beethoven Sonatas. Do any of you know if he ever intended to do so?

And I do not mean that he was tempted to do so because of the fact that he received a lot of criticism of this recordings, but for the pure fact that maybe he had something new to say about them. But perhaps he felt that he had said all he had to say about them. One fact pointing to that is his sleeve notes to the recordings that reveals that he thought these late sonatas were overrated (one of his views that I do not agree with at all). But on the other hand he developed and changed his attitude towards other works a lot over the years, so perhaps he held them in an higher esteem towards the end of his life than he did when he was 24.

His more deliberate approach in the Goldbergs from -81 makes one speculate on how for instance he would treat the Beethoven Sonata No 32. To me it seems like a work that could benefit from a more calculated way of playing and I’m sure that Gould in his later years would have an new and fresh idea of how to play it, be it more or less calculated than the way he recorded it -56. Having said that I must add that I love the -56 recording, the audacity and the fearlessness of Gould's playing. But I guess that more than I would have owned a Gould recording of Op 32 from 2005, had it existed! If you were to choose one work for Gould to re-record, which would it be?

/Kristian Johansson

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface

F_minor Website