[F_MINOR] GG and WTK I & II

One of the joys of "Once I had a farm in Africa ..."  is complete indulgence for days at a time in a specific composition, composer, interpreter.

Hence the following:  A plethora-let of questions. Could someone with more musical knowledge than myself  - prob. most of the list membership -
  • speculate on the diff between these two compositions;  and [if this is known]
  • GG's attitude towards them  as two discrete or rather two distinctive  works - I know he was not enamoured of them, but
  • did he ever speculate on Bach's thoughts towards them?
  • Is Bach's attitude known?
  • Why two excursions into  a progression of tonalities? Do they reflect a change in Bach's understanding or feelings towards tonalities and what they reflect?  If so what are these understandings?
  • Were they composed at widely varying times/ states of mind?
  • Did this influence Gould's professed or rather empirically revealed lack of enthusiasm? And
  • any  comments on his interpretation as opposed to that of other pianists?
  • Do Gould's interpretations differ - as a  generalisation -  between the I & II?  Or, if performed/recorded more than once, between individual pieces?
  • Did the dates of recording and order  in which he recorded individual pieces reflect a continuum of like or dislike?

Hope someone has the time and interest to respond!

Cordialement
Danielle

Danielle Law-Jackson
Primary address:  Omdraaisvlei Farm
P O Box 494  Prieska 8940  No. Cape, So. Africa
Telephone & Facsimile:  +27 (0) 53 35 3333 4
E-mail:  danielle@prieska.co.za
Cellular:  083 46 1326 7
Website:  omdraaisvlei.com
Or:
Rhodes University:  Department of Education
P O Box 94 Grahamstown 6140 E Cape, So. Africa
E-mail:  D.Law-Jackson@ru.ac.za

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface

F_minor Website