Re: [F_MINOR] Dispatch from Toronto

Title: Re: [F_MINOR] Dispatch from Toronto

Well, I can't claim to know Toronto well, because I have only been there once. But I enjoyed sitting with "Glenn on the bench".

 I don't think he would have resented the statue at all; in fact I think he would secretly have been pleased by it, although I doubt he would have admitted it publicly for fear of seeming vain! People seem to treat it with great affection; it is, after all , an "interactive" piece of sculpture, quite informal, not a remote and traditional statue that you have to look up to on a pedestal (which I think GG _would_ have hated). And it is copied from a well-known Hunstein photo that presumably GG himself approved. So;  people sit with it and put their hands on his knee, or their arms round his shoulders...So what? He might not have welcomed being touched , but I'm sure he would point out that the sculpture is _not_   him; it's a large and insensitive  piece of bronze attached  to a wooden bench. When I was there, somebody had considerately tucked a newspaper into the bronze hand on his lap for him to read. I didnt notice which newspaper it was; I hope it was one he would have enjoyed!

Sculpture aside, I think he would have had mixed feelings about the Glenn Gould Studio itself. Although he was himself happy to record and broadcast on radio and TV, he would obviously have hated the live-audience aspect of the place. As for the GG Prize; well, although people are nominated for this and do not have to compete actively, I think it would make him rather uncomfortable.

Its a pity that in Toronto there is in fact rather little for Gould admirers actually to visit. Yes, one can visit his grave of course, and see the exterior of some buildings, and the city did name a tiny park after him along the road from his St Clair apartment (I have seen it termed a "parkette") but apart from the name, it has nothing to do with the man.   Places like the Eaton Auditorium seem to have disappeared, although I have heard a rumour that it is in fact still standing, despite reports to the contrary, and is being restored....does anyone know if this is true?

Its fun to speculate about what GG would have thought about the things done in his name. How sad it is that we can never know for sure.

Kate

PS ...about Alwin Tong's remarks about  Toronto City Hall : I cant imagine anyone doing as he describes, but wasnt the building featured in one of the Star Trek movies? I have no idea what year Star Trek is set in, but its nice to know that in Toronto they build things to _last_!

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface

F_minor Website