Re: GG on the Philips Great Pianists series

Speaking of Orlando Gibbons, if anyone is interested in checking out more of his keyboard music (and there isn't much of it, @ 45 pieces), I can recommend the following disc by John Toll: the woods so wild.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005RT5K

Sadly, this is Toll's last album, having died in 2001 of cancer at the age of 53.

this on the recording from another list

"I thought the list might be interested to know that the late John Toll's
last recording -of keyboard music by Orlando Gibbons - has just appeared. It
is on the Linn label - CKD125.

The music is fantastic and the playing is superb. The recording I think is a
worthy memorial to a great player.

There are 24 tracks of which 13 are played on a recent instrument by Mike
Johnson and 11 on the fine late 17th Century organ by Bernard Smith at
Adlington Hall in Cheshire.

The harpsichord is a Flemish single manual using speaking lengths and
plucking points from a 1637 Ioannes Ruckers working 1 x 8 + 4 and buff. It was tuned
at A=407Hz to match the pitch of the organ, and in 1/5-comma meantone.
This was the first 1 x 8 + 4 Ruckery instrument that Mike
had made and it was immediately commandeered by John as the perfect
instrument for this music. I think the freedom of sound which is generated
by the lack of a second 8ft stop is most impressive, and as always with
Mike's instruments the balance throughout the compass cannot be faulted.

For anyone interested in this repertoire I can't recommend the recording too
highly."