Fw: [great-pianists] Rosalyn Tureck

I received this from another list.
Please note the reference to Glenn Gould.

Ms. Tureck was a lady ahead of her time.  Note her
interest in electronic instruments.

Her first public performance in New York was not as a
pianist.  She played a Bach concerto on the theremin!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/19/obituaries/19TURE.html
> [...]
> sure that nobody
> > could make a career in Bach."
> >
> >   [ I was always surprised Columbia took a risk on
> Gould's
> >     Goldbergs when he was an unknown. ]
> >
> > Ms. Tureck's first public performance in New York
> was not as a
> > pianist, but as a soloist on the theremin, an
> electronic instrument
> > played by moving one's hands through an electronic
> field, usually
> > between two metal poles. She played a Bach
> concerto.
> >
> >  [ On a theremin ??  Amazing. ]
> >
> >  Her first real splash, however, was at Town Hall
> in November 1937,
> > when she played six all-Bach concerts, a series
> regarded as daring,
> > but that began to win her a following. She also
> maintained a
> > parallel career, playing recitals of Chopin,
> Scriabin and Debussy,
> > and in the 1940's, she performed Brahms and
> Beethoven concertos with
> > the Philadelphia Orchestra and the New York
> Philharmonic.
> >
> > Ms. Tureck continued to pursue her interest in new
> music as well.
> > She gave the premieres of works written for her by
> David Diamond,
> > William Schuman and Vittorio Giannini, and the
> European premieres of
> > works by Aaron Copland and Wallingford Riegger.
> >
> >  She also formed Composers of Today, an
> organization dedicated to
> > bringing composers and performers together. Under
> its auspices,
> > works by Messiaen, Krenek and Hovhaness were given
> their first New
> > York performances. The group sponsored a concert
> by the composer
> > Vladimir Ussachevsky that is said to have been the
> first program of
> > taped electronic music in the United States.
> >
> > In the late 1950's, though, Ms. Tureck began
> shedding her activities
> > that did not relate to Bach. Since 1947, she had
> been spending more
> > time in Europe, where the demand for her Bach
> concerts was greater
> > than in the United States. In 1957 she moved to
> London, where she
> > formed a chamber orchestra, the Tureck Bach
> Players, as well as the
> > International Bach Society, meant to be a forum in
> which
> > musicologists and performers could exchange ideas.
> In 1981 she
> > started another organization with a similar
> mission, the Tureck Bach
> > Institute.
> >
> > Ms. Tureck returned to New York in 1977, after 20
> years abroad, and
> > announced her arrival with a 40th-anniversary
> celebration of her
> > Town Hall Bach series, performed at Carnegie Hall.
> She opened the
> > series with two performances of the "Goldberg
> Variations" in one
> > evening: first on the harpsichord, then on the

=== message truncated ===