serendipitous misunderstanding

PBS just showed a 6-minute Norwegian film called "80 Degrees East of Birdland."

An American jazz band -- very bebop, four out of five of these guys are black, there are berets and North African headgear -- gets lost in the deep nowhere of rural Norway.

A local old geezer who doesn't speak a word of English takes them in and helps get them straightened out.

Over coffee in his living room, he shows them an amazing collection of American jazz records. A Smithsonian-grade collection of incredibly rare vinyl.

He explains to them (in Norwegian, which nobody in the band speaks) that his brother in America sent him all these records. His brother says everything's better in America. Maybe he's right. This guy has never been to America, he's never been out of Norway. He's never played the records, because he doesn't have a record player, just a radio.

The musicians are tremendously impressed at his record collection and his obvious religious devotion to American jazz. They escort him outside, plunk him in a comfy chair, and play him a live set of the finest American bepop on Earth. He's delighted and thrilled; this sort of thing doesn't happen in his yard every day. Then he gets in their car and guides them to the nearest big town, everybody's having the time of their life.

Do you folks know about Oleana? Every kid in America (I think) sooner or later learns this song, but has no idea what the heck it's about.

Oh to be in Oleana
That's where I long to be
Rather than live in Norway
Wearing the chainst of slavery

Ole-Oleana, Ole-Oleana
Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Oleana

In Oleana little piggies
Run through the city streets
Inquiring very politely if
A slice of ham you'd like to eat

Ole-Oleana, Ole-Oleana
Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Oleana

Okay so I finally found out about this verkakte song. (David Mamet has a play, "Oleana." Has everybody heard my vulgar David Mamet joke?) It was originally a Norwegian song.

Norway's most famous 19th century musician, one of Europe's mega-superstars, was the violinist Ole Bull, on a level with Paganini and Fritz Kreisler (sp?).

So finally Ole Bull becomes convinced that his native land is not paying him sufficient honor, statues, postage stamps, that sort of thing. So he leaves Norway in very loud public disgust, swearing never to return, and founds a Utopian community somewhere in Pennsylvania USA. Which lasts less than a year, it completely blows up in bickering anarchy.

So the Norwegians wrote this song about him to say goodbye. (I think he crawled back to Norway.)