Still sexy?

Hi list
Well I thought this might provoke some interesting response and I think
Elmer and Bradley as usual respond wonderfully. Fred also feels as I do that
'wonderful' and 'hypnotic' are more appropriate words than 'sexy.' I take
the point that a can opener or anything else can be 'sexy' but I resent the
word used as a tool for selling classical music and more specifically
Gould's Bach. Unless this is a homo-erotic use of the word 'sexy' in which
case I remain ignorant.
It is interesting to compare vinyl digital with CD analog. I always
cherished my vinyl '81 Goldbergs until it began to 'pop' and 'hiss' through
repeated playing and I still miss it but surely it is just nostalgia. And
yes, hearing Glenn sing and hum is charming but surely at a cost to the
music making. It is no longer shocking or surprising and it is our duty as
his admirers to make a case for the relevence of his recordings in the 21st
century and not as just historic and idio-syncratic artefacts.
As Bradley likes to quote Cortot, in the finest spirit of music making I
wonder if all the artists of that bygone age recording primitivly on 78s
would be all that bothered with the analog/digital argument when their
criteria was to squeeze sufficient notes into one 4 minute side of a disc,
and still produce wondrous results.
That's progress!
Peter

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail