Re: Still sexy?

At 01:21 AM 1/17/03 +0000, Peter Lyon wrote:

Hi list
Well I thought this might provoke some interesting response and I think
Elmer and Bradley as usual respond wonderfully. Fred also feels as I do that
'wonderful' and 'hypnotic' are more appropriate words than 'sexy.' I take
the point that a can opener or anything else can be 'sexy' but I resent the
word used as a tool for selling classical music and more specifically
Gould's Bach. Unless this is a homo-erotic use of the word 'sexy' in which
case I remain ignorant.

Let's not forget that Glenn Gould himself used the word "sexy" to describe some of his own recordings. He used it to describe his first Brahms record, the Intermezzi recordings. I sincerely doubt that he meant it to be interpreted in a strictly sexual manner. (He was the Last Puritan, after all.)

He probably used it to imply that the recordings were passionate and sensual.

------
Anne M. Marble
Holly Lisle's Forward Motion Writing Site: http://hollylisle.com/fm/
My Blog: http://gorokandwulf.blogspot.com/