Re: GlennGould: Off the Record

Hi Michael,

Let me be the one to risk stating the obvious, but did you know that you can
buy a video (perhaps even a DVD) of the Off the Record?
The tape also included "On the Record" which is a 30 minute companion tape
of Gould's recording session of the Italian Concerto.
Not to be missed. It's one of my favorite of all Gould video shows/clips.
(The video of him playing the opening movement of
Beethoven's Sixth Symphony to an empty Eatons Auditorium may be my all-time
favorite, though his playing the Prokoviefv's Seventh Sonata is another
highlight.)

Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6304359950

Funny, Amazon lists the title as "A Portrait" but that's not right.  That's
the title of a different Glenn Gould bio. Another film that's well worth
seeing but one I think is out of print and I was lucky enough to pick up a
few months ago.

I wonder which video you would get if you ordered it from Amazon?  Anyone
ever done it?  My guess is that you'd get the Two Portraits video

You think viewing the film by yourself was sad, but just imagine how many
people were at the theater and watching the film when you weren't there.
;-)

But then again, LA isn't really a Gouldian town, is it? I lived there are
three years.  Too much sunshine and exposed skin and hearty handshakes.
Lots of bottled water though.  And Schoenberg lived and taught there for a
number of years.  Maybe it's not so anti-Gould after all.

Visited the Wilshire Ebell Theater yet, where Gould gave his last concert?
Worth checking out, I think.

No idea what's he's playing at the end of the film.  Maybe someone else
does.

Jim