From: "Juozas Rimas" <JuozasRimas@TAKAS.LT>
To: <F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 2:19 PM
Subject: Re: composers playing their own concertos (was GG hagiography)

Are there examples when composers' own performances are worse than those

by

other performers?

I thought the composer's own interpretation (provided he is competent

enough

with an instrument!) is always perfect, even if he changes it drastically

in

every performance. He is the only one who knows exactly how the music

should

sound at that particular moment. Can anyone else know it better?

Juozas Rimas Jr (not the one playing)
http://www.mp3.com/juozasrimas (oboe, piano, strings)

No, no, no!  Know it better?  Music can only be an enduring Art if the
written score is held in higher esteem, above any one sole attempted
performance.   And therefore, a composer's rendition should never be given
any greater weight than that of any other inspired performer.

The Music's the Thing! and thereby, only time (and generations of
experience) will properly estimate.. certainly not the unwitting,
time-locked composer..

And this philosophy is reasonably applicable to any of the Arts, since
otherwise they would not retain their universal value(s), which we should
rightly expect, and continue to find enriching.

Relativism in the Arts only leads to impoverishment..

Jerbi