Re: composers playing their own concertos (was GG hagiography)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bradley P Lehman" <bpl@UMICH.EDU>
To: <F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 8:11 PM
Subject: composers playing their own concertos (was GG hagiography)

> Yeah, somewhere I have the LP of Prokofiev playing his own 3rd.  Well
> done.  Also, even better, Shostakovich playing both his concertos.
>
> Please tell us you HAVE heard Rachmaninoff's recordings of all his own
> concertos and the Rhapsody!  If not, run get them...either the RCA or the
> newer Naxos.  And the way he conducted his 3rd symphony, wow!
>
> Ravel's own recording of "Bolero" is excellent, as well.

Are there examples when composers' own performances are worse than those by
other performers?

I thought the composer's own interpretation (provided he is competent enough
with an instrument!) is always perfect, even if he changes it drastically in
every performance. He is the only one who knows exactly how the music should
sound at that particular moment. Can anyone else know it better?

Juozas Rimas Jr (not the one playing)
http://www.mp3.com/juozasrimas (oboe, piano, strings)