Re: A question for all you Gouldians

Dear Cristalle,

as I said in my latest mail, I'm a very fan of Gould. I really love his
performance on Bach pieces. As I wrote, his technique was very very
good. I know very well the difficulty of playing the differents voices
of a Bach piece as well as the difficulty of playing the octaves of the
Wanderer Fantasie.
The technique is different but in the two cases difficult.
Arthur Rubinstein was completely able to play both. I'm sure of this.
All the people is sure, because we have some recordings. I know people
that heard Rubinstein play piano live. Absolutely great. And not
because he had only one or two mistake. Because he was very sensitive.
Gould do not played this kind of piece (or better: we don't have this
kind of recordings). Simply this.
As I said in the last mail, I played his cadenza of 1st of Beethoven.
Really great. And really difficult because of the differents voices. I
like it very much.
But as I wrote: for me Gould is on of the greatest pianist of the
history. But there are also other great pianists, for example
Rubinstein.And not a god...carefully.

Lorenzo

> It really depends on how you define "technique." Far too often techniq
ue is
> seen as mere brilliance, an ability to perform runs and arpeggios and
trills
> at top speed and without stumbling. Much of Chopin (especially the etu
des
> and the Fantasie-Impromptu) demonstrates this side of technique.
>
> But that's only one side of technique. There are many other aspects to
> having a good technique. The ability to voice, for instance, to bring
out
> individual lines in a multi-
part piece. Playing effectively with different
> articulations. Using fine shadings of dynamics. Using pedal effectivel
> (this is often most difficult of all!) And endurance --
 the ability to get
> through a long piece in performance without utterly exhausting yoursel
> halfway through.
>
> The pianist Fisher, for instance, was often criticized for "lacking
> technique," especially in later years.

away