From: Leah Stanwyck
Sent: November 6, 2002 1:35 PM
To: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: Re: A question for all you Gouldians

I know too many pianists who, although brilliant technically, suck at
musicality.   With all due respect, many pianists from cultures other
than Euro-based have difficulty understanding (and empathizing) with
occidental musical passion.  As a Eurasian 'white' musician, if I played
traditional Chinese or Korean music, just how authentic would my
interpretation be?  I might be able to play the notes flawlessly, but my
deeper understanding of the musical language would be limited.  You get
my point!
Cheers!