Re: GG Taboos

Well,

As listowner, I've only asked people to switch topics thrice I can think
of since 1995.  Usually I intervene when people get snippy with one
another which is too UN-GG like for me.  He was a man of many interests
and we are a group of people with many interests so I don't tend to police
topics very often.  I do ask if it *seems* very off topic that people put
GG: OT in their headers or they make some comical bends to apply it to GG
in some way. (Bradley and Bob are especially good at this!) THAT's
actually quite fun-- a very Gouldian game.

I have no problem with people discussing GG's biography.  I think Kate is
referring to folks who don't like to discuss the personal life of artists,
not a specific taboo on the list.  If people don't want to read posts
about the personal life of Gould, they should simply delete the thread.
That's why I ask that headers be accurate. (An example would be the topic
of the letter to Dell in the collected letters-- Who is the woman GG is in
love with?  I have my own theories but some people do NOT like the topic.
However-- it's not taboo for discussion on the list.)

Regards,
Mary Jo Watts
listowner, f_minor
mwatts@rci.rutgers.edu