Re: GG Beethoven

Hi Fred,

I just bought my first disappointing CD of GG.  It is "The GG Edition Beethoven Liszt Piano Transcriptions, Symphony No.5 & No. 6".

I have never heard a transcription of anything which is as good as the original.

Actually, from the GG writings I didn't think that he liked Liszt that much or Beethoven either.  I see that he has other Beethoven recordings, probably the piano concertos would have been better.  I am trying to build a library of CDs and was looking for Beethoven piano music, and of course my first choice for piano music is always GG.  Has anyone got any suggestions for a good Beethoven CD by GG?

One of my goals as a teen was to purchase all the Beethoven and Mozart Sonatas by GG. That was in the old days when we used LPs.  I didn't get past the Bach Suites and WTC.  I do have a couple of Beethoven Sonatas and Piano Concertos on LPs and CDs.  You are right.  These are much better than the Liszt transcriptions.  (I am not faulting GG's playing.)

James