Too many notes

>From the eJazz site.

Jost

 Crawford, TX, -- In an effort to reach out to constituencies outside his
 traditional power base, President George W. Bush announced a new "note
cut"
 initiative, intended to appeal to classical musicians. Speaking from his
 ranch in Crawford, Texas, the President prefaced his remarks with some
 general observations. "Music is a good thing. I like music because I like
 good things, and music is good for America. It's fundamentalistic to the
 American spirit.

 "Classically-orientated musicians -- the ones that play in orchestras, in
 the churches of this great country of ours, in polka bands, and on the
 telephone when you're put on hold while calling any one of our Fortune
500
 Companies -- are especially important, because they play a whole lot of
 notes. And these are good, American notes that haven't been genetically
 altered, which Laura and I value every highly. As I like to say, what you
 don't know you have can't hurt you if you're not there." The President
went
 on to explain the reasons for his new initiative. "For too long these
good
 musical Americans have been playing lots and lots of notes, and haven't
been
 getting anything in return. These notes belong to the American people,
and
 it's time to give some of them back."

 The administration's plan calls for a one-time refund of 3,000 notes to
all
 tax-paying and note-playing musicians. Chamber musicians who play sonatas
 together in long-standing legal or church sanctioned relationships are
 entitled to a refund of 6,000 notes.

 String quartets will receive a one-time refund of 10,000 notes, as
follows:
 5,000 for first violinists, 3,000 for second violinists, 1,500 for
cellists,
 and 500 for violists. Already this arrangements has generated
considerable
 controversy, since it clearly favors the upper instruments.
 Pianists are entitled to a 15,000-note refund because, in the words of
the
 President, "they play lots and lots and lots of notes. Their fingers must
be
 really well oiled. Those digits can really add up, musicologistically
 speaking."
 Back in Washington, Democrats are already gearing up for a fight. They
point
 to the plan's inequitable distribution of notes. Citing the latest
figures
 >from the music division of the General Accounting Office, they also
claim
 that Bush's initiative is musically irresponsible. Noting recent reports
 indicating the President's tax refund, in conjunction with the sliding
 economy, has now effectively erased any budget surplus, they find
parallels
 in Bush's note-cut initiative. They warn ominously that his plan
threatens
 the all-important Musical Security Hemi-, Demi-, and Semi-Quaver Reserve.

 On Friday Representative Richard A. Gephardt painted a grim picture of
what,
 in Democrats' eyes, the future holds. "Giving musicians notes back
doesn't
 mean they're going to use them wisely, and it won't help the nation's
 musical health. We'd run the very real risk of running out of notes."
 "Imagine," Gephardt continued, "a Brahms symphony petering out in the
 performance for a lack of notes. First thing you know, musicians will be
 leaving out all the fast movements because they don't have enough notes
 get through them. Mendelssohn will suffer the most, especially the last
 movement of the octet."
 Apprised of Gephardt's remarks on the way to a pig roast on his ranch,
 President Bush responded. "Nope. Not gonna happen. I intend to be the
 defense, education, and fast-movement President. If Congress minds its
 musical matters, we'll have enough left for Brahms and the Mendelssohn
 Octagon, too."