OT: "Why do I love these things? Are my ears on wrong?"

Happy 127th Birthday,
Charles Ives!

My high school friend (i.e., he and I were in high school together) Jimmy Sinclair, President of the Charles Ives Society

www.charlesives.org

notifies me that today is Charles Ives' birthday, and suddenly I am 34 percent happier, just from one lousy little e-mail spam.

Though Ives (1874-1954) is pretty much an American sort of thang, I have very admiring recordings of his symphonies by the Amsterdam Concertgebow, so he does travel, but not very well from Nation to Nation like Beethoven (who is incredibly popular throughout Japan). Rather he travels from goofy person to goofy person, somewhat like drug addiction, and most professional musicians think that a love of Ives' music is something that needs treatment. Ives himself said:

Why do I like these things? Are my ears on wrong?

When Ives was a little boy in a small town in Connecticut, his bandleader father was rehearsing his military marching band in the town square on the Third of July, for the Big Day the next day. Another marching band was also rehearsing.

Then, each band playing a different patriotic tune in a different key and a different tempo, they accidentally marched through each other.

Little Charlie Ives was transfixed, permanently, for life. It was a moment and an unearthly sound like no other he had ever heard -- like the opening of a magic door into the heart of all American patriotism and history.

His amazing musical career is very much his attempt to guide people back again into that strange, eery, vanished place.

He studied music at Yale, and had a side job as a church organist. Occasionally he would play an original tune, I've heard a couple of his Recessionals. They really make you want to get out of the church faster.

By the time he graduated, his professors strongly tried to dissuade him from trying to make a living from composing music, so he took up the insurance trade, opened an agency in New York City, and became one of the most prosperous and innovative insurance executives in America. In those days, life insurance was entirely a thing for rich people -- a way for the rich to suddenly get much richer when they died. Ives pioneered life insurance for the common man, an affordable product an ordinary working man could buy on the installment plan to safeguard his family when he died. Ives gloried in the part of America that gloried in the ordinary citizen, the part of America that didn't belong to the rich and the powerful and the corrupt.

Meanwhile, he and his wife Harmony (I don't know how they met, perhaps he put an ad in a singles column, maybe he previously dated Counterpoint and Chroma, or Glissanda) lived on a small Connecticut farm, and in a shack with a piano, Ives composed his Stuph. He never went to concerts or listened to contemporary classical music, he was entirely innocent of what was going on in serious music in Europe or America.

One time a famous Italian conductor was somehow steered into Ives' farm shack and Ives played him a composition on the piano. The conductor started screaming: "This is not music! This is horrible!" and fled.

None of his orchestral music was ever performed in America (or anywhere) during his lifetime. A well-known classical pianist, and the movie composer Bernard Herrmann ("7th Voyage of Sinbad," "Vertigo" and most Hitchcock movies, "Citizen Kane," "Taxi Driver," "Journey to the Center of the Earth," et al.) championed Ives' work and tried to get orchestras to play and record it, but no luck.

In 1947, seven years before he died, his Symphony No. 3 won the Pulitzer Prize for Music. He hadn't composed since the 1920s. President Wilson had appointed Ives to lead the War Bond campaign during World War I, he exhausted himself, and had a stroke not long after the war ended.

Today one of Ives' greatest champions is the American conductor Michael Tilson-Thomas. Leonard Bernstein was also partial to Ives and recorded his symphonies.

For overseasers and overtreesers, I need to point out a tricky little nuance here. Ives' musical patriotism is not that noisy, flag-waving, in-your-face, Kate Smith, John Phillip Sousa sort of blunt, thuggish, noisy and crude patriotism that, unfortunately, is the only kind most of us are familiar with, particularly this unhappy month.

Ives' father was the youngest bandleader in the Union (North, the side that won) Army during the Civil War. The American Civil War was a dreadful holocaust of neighbor against neighbor, kinsman against kinsman, and no amount of Hollywood hype or ballyhoo is needed to enhance the horrid sacrifice and blood-letting it really was. One of Ives' great themes was to preserve the echoes of this great national experience -- not the experience of the generals and the politicians, but the experience of everyone's uncle and father and older brother and aunt and grandparents, the intimate moments around the campfire, the personal moments of sacrifice as Hell in the early morning fog enveloped them. As America got on with new things, with noisy cars and mass-production industry and river pollution and honky-tonk piano, as America deserted the Farm and relocated to the City, Ives wanted it to remember the final moments of earlier times, an innocence and an idealism and a wilderness that were his ideas about America.

Each summer around the Fourth of July, Ives lovers gather for a convention at some rented college campus, and the high point of these get-togethers is that they hire two marching bands and have them play different old military tunes and march through each other.

If you're brave enough to give Ives just one try, I recommend the symphony called "Three Places in New England." Lock yourself in the listening room, disconnect the phone, and give it the uninterrupted attention it deserves. Ives used musical ideas that were decades ahead of his time to fill our hearts with ideas about the lost beauty and holiness of the distant past -- "the songs our fathers loved." Listening to his symphonies is a lot like eavesdropping on the sing-songs of ancient ghosts in a forest clearning. There are moments in Ives that move my heart more deeply than any other music I know. I didn't learn to love Ives. I saw a documentary about this screwy Yankee man and bought and listened to an Ives symphony. It was an instantaneous feat of magic, I was transfixed instantly and forever. Maybe my ears are on wrong.

Bob