Re: Bach's Fugue in e-major (878), WTK II

On Saturday October 20, 2001 Jörg Scheuvens wrote:

> So it seems that the only way to get the 57 recording of this incredible

>Fugue on CD is to buy the Sony Jacket Collection.

It is also available, along with the F-sharp minor fugue recorded for the ’57

Partita recording, on the GG Edition release of the ’55 Goldbergs.

>(unfortunately reality is back after 5 minutes of listening). At least it is

>also very touching and important to me, to see that GG performs this

>essential work in nearly the same way at the beginning and the end of

>his life as an artist...

Yes, the ’57 E-major fugue times in at 4:17, the ’69 version speeds along at

1:47, and for the ’79 film he stretches it out to five minutes. And while he

would perform often the same piece at radically different tempi, on the whole

his tempi were _much_ slower later in his life.

Has anyone here read the Tim Page article about the perceived tempi difference

between the ’55 and ’82 Goldbergs which appeared in (I think) the March ’01

edition of GlenGould magazine?? Any comments?

Dominic