Re: GG: Bach's Fugue in e-major (878), WTK II

>Curiously enough, BWV 878 is not wholly Bach, since the fugue subject was
>borrowed from JKF Fischer's "Ariadne Musica".

Fischer's version is not wholly Fischer either: that same fugue subject is
the kernel of at least two contrapuntal keyboard works by JJ Froberger
before him.

Just a few weeks ago I was working up such a sequence as a potential
section for a concert: one or both of the Froberger pieces followed by the
Fischer followed by the Bach.  Sort of a "life and times of this subject"
set.  Then it turned out I already had enough other music for this concert
(Wednesday last week), so I'm saving that set for another time.  But it's
a nice set.  That little Fischer fugue works well played exactly twice as
fast as the Bach.

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl  or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot