Re: End of Concerts Possible??

"I'm just a boy whose intentions are good
"Oh Lord please don't let me be misunderstood"

Okay okay yeah I'm always telling jokes, okay, but I was COMPLETELY SERIOUS
about this one.

Smaller musical ensembles particularly need help, not just money, but a
hovering swarm of devoted helpers and volunteers to keep the orchestra's
nose above water.

Because of the most delightful coincidence of an old school tie, my adopted
orchestra is a wonderful, energetic, innovative ensemble in New Haven,
Connecticut USA called Orchestra New England. They're about 25 years old,
and their concerts are at the most architecturally wonderful venues in and
around Yale University.

I went to high school with the conductor, James Sinclair ("Jimmy" to me
:-)  ), who is also the President of the Charles Ives Society. (He almost
had a stroke at the high school reunion when I told him I was crazy about
Charles Ives. He doesn't run into a lot of that.)

Hanging with Orchestra New England over the last few years has been such a
treat -- not just the great concerts, but I've been allowed to go to social
events and meet the musicians and subject them mercilessly to a million
nosey questions about the guts and nuts and bolts of performing orchestral
music.

There's a musical ensemble near you that needs and would love your "angel"
help as well. And you'll be rewarded for your help in the most delightful
ways.

It's a tradition as old as music itself -- The Patron. It helps keep live
performance alive in a world that's never been particularly kind or generous
to musicians. And as I ranted, it's a particularly valuable way to put fine
music into the lives of kids. There's room enough in their little brains for
Destiny's Child and Rimsky-Korsakov too.

Bob