Re: GG visits New York

From the John Zorn mailing list..........

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:58:17 +0200
From: "Artur Nowak" <arno@emd.pl>
Subject: Glenn Gould (zero Zorn content)

Many artists who have nothing to do were discussed on the list,
just because
they play good music, but I don't remember anybody mentioning
Glenn Gould,
who became my hero during last few months. It all started with
"Goldberg
Variations" - of course, you would say, but you probably don't
expect, that
it started with... Uri Caine weird record. After hearing the
twisted Caine
versions I wanted to listen to the original. I heard some Bach
before, as a
kid (late night radio before sleep), but I didn't bother about
BWV numbers
at all. Gould was the first interpreter to ! get familiar with,
since Caine
mentioned him as an influence. I got the 1981 recording of
Variations and
whole new world has opened to me. I just can't stop listening to
it, every
time it's a very intense experience. Meanwhile I got some dozen
of other
recordings (including the other two by Gould), but nothing is
comparable
with his interpretations. Next step was Wohltemperierte Klavier
("wow, there
is a music which can actually sound nice!") and Kunst der Fuge.
It's a very
demanding piece, but it moved my "internal ear" to a new level
of
sensibility. I just listen to music in a different way now.
Nothing is the
same. All of the sudden, some stuff which seemed complex sound
easy now, I
can identify structures in music, which were hidden before. OK,
you will
quote the Dilbert strip "if you have to increase you IQ, listen
to some
classical music", naive, but true. What's more, the only two
"types" of
m! usic which kick my ass now is Bach and free jazz. I listen to
Kunst der
Fugue and Shape of Jazz to Come only. I wonder, where it will
take me...

Anyway, who is after Gould? Other than Canadians on the list of
course!

Who was reading his articles? I just read an excellent book
about him by
polish (!) critic who lives in France, Stefan Rieger, the book
is great,
because it's not just a biography with a list of all Goulds
strange
behaviours, but almost a philosophical dialogue with Gould about
the music
per se. And the artist. And the perception of music by a
listener. And about
judging the music. Just one quote:

"The determination of the value of a work of art according to
the
information available about it it is a most delinquent form of
aesthetic
appraisal" - what about that?

    Artur Nowak [arno at emd dot pl] ! muzyka.emd.pl