GG: pic files, fminor policy

Hi All:

Mary Jo, listowner here.  I know many of us would love to share pics of
GG, sound files, etc. But unfortunately I have to ask everyone to refrain
from forwarding such files to the list for several reasons.

1) Bandwidth-- such files take up a tremendous amount of resources.  There
are roughly 300 people on the list and not everyone wishes to share.  The
attachments put undue strain on our systems.

2) Viruses-- unsolicited attachments are often the source of viruses and I
do not want anyone to feel uncomfortable receiving mail from f_minor.

3) Copyright-- the owners of the copyrights to the photos and any other
files transfered in such a fashion do not get due credit or compensation
for their intellectual property.  (Now many of you know I am a proponant
of the "information wants to be free" school-- I just don't want f_minor
to be the place to express that.)

Anyone who continues to send files via f_minor will be warned politely
once then unsubscribed should the activity continue.  I would suggest that
all listmembers refrain from opening unsolicited attachments.

I'm sure no harm is meant in the recent cases.  Please continue to share
your GG files via web sites of your own creation or off list-- just not
via f_minor. It is perfectly acceptable for list members to share URLs to
outside sites or obviously to join in *off-list* consentual file sharing.

Thank you.

Mary Jo Watts,
listowner, f_minor
mwatts@rci.rutgers.edu